Tophat is a friendly game engine for making 2d games with umka. Tophat is currently hosted on github. You can download tophat from the github releases.
- why tophat?
- build instructions
very simple to use - tophat’s API is kept very small and simple, but remains very powerful.
modular design - tophat is built from modules, which can introduce new features or abstract over existing ones. Most modules are completely optional.
open and hackable - tophat is licensed under the BSD-3 license and its codebase is only about 6000 lines of code (about 60% c)
the tophat binary is small and very static - a build of tophat is only about 1 MB and links only few system libraries
You will need the following build dependencies:
- a c compiler, mingw for cross compilation
- libGL headers
- libX11 headers (linux only)
You also need to clone the repo with the
--recursive flag. If you forgot
to do that, run
git submodule init && git submodule update.
Following make rules are available:
- make - build tophat
- make run - build and run tophat
- make clean - clean tophat objects
- make deepclean - also clean submodules
- make cross - compile for windows if on linux
- make bulk - compile all sources at once
People who made a library used by tophat:
- Vasiliy Tereshkov for creating umka
- Charles Lohr for creating the CHEW opengl loader
- Sean Barrett for creating the stb libraries (image and ttf)
- David Reid for creating miniaudio
I would also like to thank Aviv Beeri, the creator of the dome engine, which inspired me to make tophat.